Friday, February 14, 2014

DIY I love you Art


There is no better time than Valentine's Day to recreate some of my favorite art by Alice Lane Home (not feeling an art project today? You can find them here) At $437 a pop, my Valentine may be feeling less than loving if I purchased these on a whim, SO I set out to make my own version of my favorite word art.

I purchased two 20x20 gallery wrapped canvas boards at Michael's ($18 each with a 40% off coupon). I always prefer to get the "level 3" canvases because they have a thick 1 inch surround that gives art a professional finished look. 


Using white acrylic craft paint, I painted a base layer of white. Then, I combined a little brown in the mix to give the canvas a "distressed" look. {Sorry this is a little hard to see in the pictures.}


Next I used a medium point paint pen (pictured below) to write in script the "i love you" words. I practiced on another canvas first before writing in freehand on the actual project canvas. I also tried several other pens first to no avail - a fabric pen, a sharpie, and a fine point acrylic paint pen.


Then came the writing...





What do you think of the final results? 
It cost me less than $60 versus around $850 for the originals






Have you done any fun Valentine's Craft Projects this season?






Happy Valentine's Day! Go hug someone you love.




Follow me on PINTEREST for more great DIY projects!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! We love hearing your ideas, seeing your DIY projects, and answering your questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive